Chocolate Orange Guiness Teddy Bear Cake
Sunday, July 13, 2008It's my best friends birthday so decided to bake her something special. It's also a good chance to use my new teddy bear silicone cake pan. I've made beer cake before but it was butter and beer cake. This time I decided to make this Chocolate Orange Guiness Stout cake. Comes with a chocolate orange frosting that's yum~
- half stick of butter (125g) at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 rounded tablespoons cocoa
- Grated rind of 1 orange (not the small ones ah!)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup Guinness stout
- 125g softened butter
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 1 large orange
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease the teddy bear pan (you can use a normal cake pan)
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa into a bowl.
- Add orange rind to the creamed butter.
- Beat in eggs one at a time including a spoonful of the measured flour mixture with each one.
- Beat well between additions.
- Gently mix in Guinness and flour 1 tablespoonful at a time.
- Gently fold in any remaining flour then blend thoroughly without over beating.
- Pour mixture into your cake pan.
- Reduce heat to 350 and bake 40 minutes then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- To make icing cream softened butter and confectioner's sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Blend in grated orange rind and enough juice to make an icing that is soft enough to spread.