Vietnamese Banana Cake
12 ripe finger bananas or pisang emas (Choose the ones that are ripe but not turning black)
60 g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
380 g (one small tin) of sweetened condensed milk (susu manis)
250 g unsalted butter, melted
200 g (around 1 and 1/3 cup) plain flour
- Slice the bananas thinly on the diagonal and coat with sugar. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius. Grease your cake pan or bakeware with butter.
- Beat the eggs and combine with the condensed milk and melted butter (make sure the melted butter is not too hot or it will cook the eggs).
- Now add the flour and mix well, then gently fold the bananas through the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 1 hour, or until the cake is cooked through in the center and golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool, then cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. You can actually serve this warm straight out of the oven as well.
You can serve this on its own or with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy this with a nice cup of Teh Tarik or Pandan Tea. Hmm…… delicious!