Usually when we want cream of mushroom soup, we go instant. Now, there's so many varieties out there.
In Brunei, we probably have seen this one in the shelves of supermarkets.
After some search, I actually found Korean Instant Cream of Mushroom Soup!
Move aside Kimchee Instant Noodles, Cream of Mushroom soup is here!
This one I dunno what country one. Anyone care to guess? What surprises me was another brand that wants to tap into the Cream of Mushroom Soup market.
LIPTON! I thought they make teas for us to drink only, now got CUP A SOUP cream of mushroom? Wonder how it'll taste like ... but seriously, nothing beats a homecooked, made from scratch cream of mushroom soup.
Ladies and Gentleman
Cream of Mushroom soup recipe
1 tablespoon cooking oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup mushroom water (soak about 3-4 dried mushrooms in water for 4 hours, you have mushroom water, can mix the mushrooms with the other mushrooms later)
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup milk
1 pinch dried basil (if cannot find dried, use finely chopped fresh ones)
2-3 tablespoons cream
freshly ground black pepper
fresh basil leaves, to garnish
1. Pull the caps away from the mushroom stalks.
2. Finely slice the caps and chop the stalks, keeping the 2 piles separate.
3. Heat the oil and half the butter in a heavy based saucepan and add the chopped onion, mushroom stalks and half of the sliced mushroom caps.
4. Fry about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, and then cover and sweat over a gentle heat for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
6. Gradually add the stock, mushroom water and milk to make a smooth, thin sauce.
7. Add the basil, and season with salt and pepper.
8. Bring to the boil and then simmer, partly covered, for 15 minutes.
9. Allow to cool slightly and then pour into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
10. Melt remaining butter in a heavy based frying pan, and fry the remaining mushrooms over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes until they are just tender.
11. Pour soup into a large clean saucepan and stir in sliced mushrooms.
12. Heat until very hot but not boiling and add salt and pepper to taste.
13. Add the cream.
14. Serve at once garnished with the basil leaves.